The Day My Childhood Ended on the Side of the Road
I was only eight years old when my life changed forever.
We were driving together, just my father and me. The road was quiet, stretched endlessly ahead of us. At some point, he pulled over and told me he needed to relieve himself. “Wait here,” he said. I nodded, trusting him completely, the way only a child can trust a parent.I waited.
Minutes passed. Then more minutes. I kept looking through the window, expecting to see him walking back toward the car, smiling, telling me we could continue our journey. But he never came.An hour felt like a lifetime.
Fear slowly crept in, but I stayed where I was because he told me to wait. I believed he would return. Eventually, a passer-by noticed me sitting alone in the car. He looked concerned and asked why I was by myself. With the innocence of a child, I explained that my father had gone to pee and hadn’t come back yet.
The man offered to help. He went to look for my father.
What he found instead shattered my world.
My father was gone. He had been bitten and killed by a snake.
In one moment, my protector, my guide, my hero was taken away. There was no goodbye. No last hug. No final words. Just silence and the unbearable truth that he would never return to the car, never finish the journey with me.
That day, I learned what loss meant before I fully understood life. I learned how quickly safety can disappear, how fragile love can be, and how a child’s world can collapse without warning.
Even now, the memory stays with me,the waiting, the hope, the confusion, and the moment everything changed. I was just a child sitting in a car on the side of the road, waiting for a father who would never come back.
And from that day on, I carried not only the memory of him, but the weight of losing him in the most sudden and heartbreaking way.

No comments:
Post a Comment