Tuesday, 3 March 2026

MY MOTHER SOLD ME TO HER CUSTOMERS FOR MONEY.

By the time I understood what was happening, it was already too late.
My mother ran a small shebeen from our home. The house was always full  music blasting, bottles clinking, men laughing loudly into the night. To outsiders, it looked like business. Just another woman trying to survive. But behind the noise and the alcohol, something darker was happening.
I was part of the business.

At first, she would ask me to sit with certain customers. “Be nice,” she would whisper. “They are important.” I thought maybe I was helping. I thought maybe this was what children of struggling parents were supposed to do , assist where they could.
But then the requests changed.
She would send me into back rooms. She would close doors behind me. She would collect money afterward.

That was the moment I realized I was no longer her child in those moments — I was a transaction.
I remember staring at the ceiling sometimes, trying to leave my body in my mind. Trying not to feel. Trying not to think. I told myself it was temporary. I told myself she loved me and that this was just her way of surviving.
But love doesn’t look like that.

The betrayal cut deeper than anything else. It wasn’t just what the customers did. It was knowing my own mother arranged it. Knowing she counted the money. Knowing she chose to protect her income instead of protecting me.
Children are supposed to feel safest at home. For me, home became the place I feared most.

For years, I carried the shame like it belonged to me. I avoided eye contact. I stayed silent. I felt dirty, broken, unwanted. It took time  and courage to understand the truth: I was a child. I was exploited. I was failed by the one person who was meant to shield me from harm.
Today, I speak out not for sympathy, but for awareness.

There are children living in similar silence right now. Abuse does not always come from strangers lurking in the dark. Sometimes it hides in familiar spaces , in homes, in businesses, in families that appear normal to the outside world.
No child should ever be treated as a source of income.
No child should have to trade their innocence for rent money.
And no parent should

ever confuse survival with sacrifice when the cost is their own child.
This is not just a story of pain. It is a story of survival. And surviving means I am still here still standing and no longer silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Haunted by the Roadside Dead

  What began as a desperate way to survive has now turned into a living nightmare. For years, my husband had a dark secret ,one he kept hidd...