Saturday, 7 February 2026

When a Marriage Comes Second to a Mother’s Demands

 never imagined I would one day feel like a stranger in my own marriage, competing with someone who is not supposed to be a rival. But that is exactly how it feels when your husband’s loyalty, finances, and priorities seem to belong somewhere else.

I believe my mother-in-law did something to my husband so that he gives her money every month. In my heart, it feels deeper than normal family support. In our home, there is always a story of “no money.” No money for groceries. No money for household needs. No money to help carry the weight of the family we are building together.

Yet the moment his mother calls, money suddenly appears.

What hurts the most is not just the money it’s what that money represents. It represents attention. It represents priority. It represents choice. Somehow, when it comes to his mother, there is always a way. When it comes to his wife and his home, there are only excuses.

I watch him withdraw from responsibility. He does not help with anything in the house. He does not take ownership of our struggles. Instead, I am left to stretch, to worry, to survive, while he fulfills a monthly obligation to someone who already had her chance to build her life.

Whether it is something spiritual, emotional manipulation, fear, or lifelong conditioning, the result is the same: our marriage is suffering. A home cannot stand when one partner is neglected and basic needs are treated as optional.

In many families, especially in cultures where parents are placed on a pedestal, sons are raised to believe they owe their mothers forever even if it costs them their marriages. But marriage is supposed to mean starting a new family, not abandoning it.

A wife should not have to beg for food in her own home.

A household should not come second to outside demands.

Love should not feel like competition.

This situation has taught me a painful truth: when boundaries are not set, resentment grows. When silence is chosen over honesty, marriages slowly break. And when a husband refuses to see the damage being done, the wife is left carrying pain alone.

I am not asking for luxury. I am asking for partnership.

I am not asking him to abandon his mother. I am asking him not to abandon his home.

Because no matter the reason behind his actions, intentional or not, neglect is neglectand it leaves scars that are hard to heal.

Sometimes the real problem is not what was “done” to someone, but what they refuse to confront. And until that changes, love, trust, and stability will always be at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Haunted by the Roadside Dead

  What began as a desperate way to survive has now turned into a living nightmare. For years, my husband had a dark secret ,one he kept hidd...