ask myself this question every day, often in silence, often at night when the house is quiet and my thoughts are loud.
Where did I go wrong with my son?
I worked hard,harder than I ever thought I could. I sacrificed everything so that my son could have the life I never had. I wanted him to have choices, opportunities, and a future brighter than mine. I believed that if I provided the best, he would grow into the best version of himself.
But today, I look at him and feel afraid.
He no longer wants to go to school. He smokes. He spends his time with the wrong crowd. When I set him down and explain how harsh life really is,he tells me that I should let him live his life. Those words cut deeper than he knows.
I am scared that one day I will get a call saying my son is in jail.
I am scared that I will get a knock on the door telling me he was killed on the streets.
I am scared that I am slowly losing him while he is still alive.
People assume that when a child goes astray, the parent must have failed. But parenting is not a straight road. You can do your best and still watch your child struggle. You can pour love into them and still feel shut out. Sometimes, love alone doesn’t protect them from the world.
Maybe where I went wrong wasn’t in loving him but in believing that love alone would be enough. Maybe I focused so much on providing materially that I missed the silent battles he was fighting inside. Or maybe this is simply his season of rebellion, his way of finding himself in a world that is cruel and unforgiving.
What hurts the most is knowing that everything I say now sounds like noise to him, yet everything I fear feels like truth to me.
Still, I haven’t given up.I pray for him when he won’t listen.
I worry for him even when he pushes me away.
I love him even when he makes choices I don’t understand.
If you are a parent reading this and feeling the same pain, know this: you are not alone. Loving a child does not come with guarantees. Sometimes all we can do is keep the door open, keep speaking love, and hope that one day they will remember who stood by them when the world turns cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment