I was born in a small village in Limpopo, where poverty was common and opportunities were rare. As the fourth child out of eight, I learned very early that life would not be easy. We did not have much. Some days we went to school without shoes. Some days we went without food. But we never went without hope.
I watched my mother work tirelessly as a domestic worker, cleaning other people’s homes while dreaming of a better future for her own children. I saw the exhaustion in her eyes and the strength in her spirit. She never allowed her situation to break her. And because of her, I refused to allow mine to break me.
It would have been easy to accept that this was my fate. To believe that because I was born into poverty, I would remain there. Many people around us believed that nothing good could come from a small village. But I chose to believe differently.
I chose to believe that my mind was more powerful than my surroundings.
I chose to believe that education could change my life.
I chose to believe that my dreams were valid, no matter where I came from.
Every time I felt discouraged, I remembered my mother’s sacrifices. Every time I felt like giving up, I reminded myself of the promise I made that I would study hard and lift my family out of poverty.
Your circumstances may shape your beginning, but they do not control your ending. Struggles can either trap you or train you. They can make you bitter, or they can make you better.
I refused to let my circumstances define me.
And you can refuse too.
No comments:
Post a Comment