When my mother forced me to marry her best friend’s son, I felt like my life was no longer mine. I cried, I begged, I refused but in the end, I gave in. The ultimatum was clear: marry him or leave home with nothing.
I chose what I thought was survival.
At first, I tried to convince myself that maybe things would work out. Maybe love would grow. Maybe my instincts were wrong. He was kind, respectful, and distant but I told myself that not every marriage begins with passion.
But deep down, I knew.
There were signs I chose to ignore. The late nights. The emotional distance. The way he avoided intimacy. The constant “work trips” that never quite made sense. I silenced my doubts because I didn’t want to face the truth I had feared from the very beginning.
Two years into the marriage, everything came crashing down.
One night, I followed him.
I don’t even know what pushed me to do it—maybe it was intuition, maybe it was pain that had been building for too long. What I saw that night changed everything.
My husband… was living a double life.
By day, he was the perfect husband society expected him to be. But by night, he was someone else entirely someone free, someone honest, someone living the truth he had been forced to hide.
He was gay.
In that moment, my heart didn’t just break for myself it broke for both of us.
We were two people trapped in a lie we didn’t create, forced into roles we never chose, all to satisfy family expectations and protect reputations. I felt anger, betrayal, sadness… but also a strange kind of understanding.
Because the truth is, he is a victim too.
We were both sacrificed.
I confronted him, and for the first time, I saw the weight he had been carrying. The fear. The shame. The pressure. He admitted everything, tears in his eyes, saying he never wanted this marriage either but he didn’t have the courage to say no.
Just like me.
Now I find myself asking: what happens next?
Do we continue pretending for the sake of our families?
Do we finally choose ourselves, even if it means breaking everything apart?
Two years of my life have been built on a lie.
And now, I must decide if I’m brave enough to walk away from it… and finally start living my truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment