When my parents died, the world became quiet in the worst way.
I packed my clothes into two plastic bags and went to live with my grandmother. Her house stood at the edge of the township old, cracked walls, a yard that always felt colder than the rest of the street. When I arrived, she did not hug me.
Instead, she gave me rules.
“In this house,” she said firmly, “everyone works for the food they eat.”
I nodded. I was grateful to have a roof over my head.
Then she pointed to a small, windowless room at the back of the house. The door was old and scratched, secured with a thick padlock.
“That room is not to be opened,” she warned. “Your job is simple. Twice a week, you will go from dustbin to dustbin and collect used sanitary pads. You will throw them inside that room. If you fail…” she paused and looked at me in a way that made my stomach tighten “there will be a heavy price to pay.”
I thought she was joking.
She wasn’t.
The first time I walked through the streets lifting dustbin lids, shame burned through me. I kept my head low, praying no one would recognise me. The smell was unbearable. Dogs barked. Flies buzzed. My hands trembled every time I found what I was looking for.
I told myself this was just another strange house rule. I told myself not to ask questions.
But every time I dropped the plastic bag into that dark room and heard something shift inside , something heavy my heart skipped.
What was I feeding?
Weeks passed. I never missed a collection day. I was too afraid. My grandmother watched me closely. She never thanked me. She only reminded me of the “price” if I disobeyed.
Then one day, curiosity defeated fear.
She had gone to church. The house was silent. My heart pounded as I stood in front of the forbidden door. My hands shook while unlocking it. The hinges creaked loudly as I pushed it open.
The smell hit me first metallic, heavy, suffocating.
Then I saw it.
Coiled in the corner of the dark room was the largest snake I had ever seen. Its body was thick and muscular, scales glistening in the dim light. Its head lifted slowly when it sensed me.
And beneath its heavy coils…
Money.
Notes scattered across the floor.
More money than I had ever seen in my life.
I froze. My breathing stopped. My mind raced.
The snake shifted, its body tightening protectively around the pile of cash. It wasn’t just lying there it was guarding it.
Feeding on blood. Producing money.
In that moment, every warning my grandmother had ever given me made sense.
When I heard the front gate creak open, panic surged through me. I slammed the door shut and ran back to my room, my body shaking uncontrollably.
That evening, my grandmother’s eyes lingered on me longer than usual.
“You opened it,” she said quietly.
It wasn’t a question.
I couldn’t speak.
She sighed. “Now you understand why you must never miss a day.”
I lay awake that night, staring at the ceiling. I didn’t know what terrified me more the giant snake in the dark room or the fact that our survival depended on it.
People think poverty is simple. That it’s just about not having money.
They don’t understand what desperation can invite into a home.
Twice a week, I still walk from dustbin to dustbin.
And every time I hear that heavy shifting sound behind the door, I wonder:
Is the snake making the money…
Or is it slowly swallowing us whole?

No comments:
Post a Comment